It is that time of year again...when the thought of school starts to creep into every crevice of the brain. While some students have breezed through the summer read, others quickly turn their head each time the book pops into their peripheral...because if you don't see it, it doesn't exist. And while some parents are bummed the lazy days of summer are winding down, most are secretly doing the happy dance because the idea of having STRUCTURE back is oh so seductive.
In an attempt to help you get your back-to-school groove on, here is a little top 10 list of things to do before the kids return to school.
Click here for a printable version of the checklist provided below.
1. Complete summer reading or any assigned summer work.
2. Shop for school supplies.
3. Complete registration and/or pay school fees.
4. Get kids physicals and shots if needed and turn in completed paperwork.
5. Visit the school website and read any mailings so that you are in the know of any important procedures, events, and so forth.
6. Go through closets and drawers and remove clothes that no longer fit and begin shopping for clothes that do fit.
7. If kids pack their own lunch, have them write down some lunch ideas.
8. Determine how your child is getting to and from school if not by bus (i.e. carpool schedule, ride from a friend if in high school).
9. Start to map out weekly after school commitments and routines once you learn of club/sports days and times.
10. Think about, discuss and establish new household routines and expectations for the new school year (ex. minutes/hours allowed on technology, bedtimes, chores, etc.)
Good luck! Have a great school year!